Sunday, December 8, 2013

"Just a Dog"

The three words I must admit I really dislike is he’s “just a dog."  In fact, I not only dislike it I must also admit that I hate it and I don’t hate too many things.

Let me tell you a little about my “just a dog”.  He’s the reason I get up in the morning and walk in steamy hot weather or snow and ice.  He’s the reason I make sure I have plenty of food on hand for him at all times.  He’s the reason I go down the dog food aisle to bring home special treats to see his happy face and wagging tail.  He’s the reason I stay by his side when he has an epileptic seizure.  He’s the reason I have had extremely high vet bills.  He’s the reason I buy special food for him to decrease his seizures.  He’s the reason I am so excited to walk in the door when I get home. He’s the reason I go to the park and walk two miles in the heat.

This may sound horrible to someone who thinks he’s just a dog.  Now if you are one of those people you must wonder why anyone would have just a dog.  Why do I have just a dog?

I have just a dog because no one on the planet would stay by my side constantly while I’m sick.  No one sleeps by my side all night long every night and snuggles against my leg.  No one is as excited to see me as much as just a dog.  No one kisses my tears away like just a dog.  No one wakes me up with a happy face and wagging tail each morning.   No one stays by my side all the time like just a dog.  No one makes me a better person as much as just a dog.   



So who is just a dog.  His name is Scamp.  He is 10 years old and he has been having epileptic seizures since he was 1 ½ years old.  I had a person ask me once with all the seizures he has why I would keep him.  I keep him because he is part of my family. When we brought him into our home we brought him in for life.  If your child had epileptic seizures would you get rid of them?  Scamp has given our family so much more than we could ever give him and he asks for nothing in return. 

All just a dog wants is to be loved and taken care of properly.  What you get in return is everything they have to give.  How many people do that for you? So next time you think to yourself it’s just a dog….think again.  It’s not just a dog, it’s unconditional love and I don’t think anyone in my life loves me more than my just a dog. 

My family loves our Scamp and he will never be “just a dog”.



1 comment:

Brian said...

As much as you hate "just a dog", I hate "he's like my child" (which is different from "part of the family"). My dog is part of my family, but he's not my child. And I'm not implying you said that, but I had to get that in there.