Saturday, November 8, 2008

Barack The Vote!

Yes, America did "Barack the vote"!

It was a moment that brought tears to your eyes. It was a moment that brought hope to humanity. It was a moment that will mend many fences. It was a moment that showed the world we are Americans first and it is a bond that holds us all together in this country.

Yes, it’s true that there hasn’t been a woman president yet. But what this proved to me is that anything is possible with drive, determination and hard work. I can now say to my daughter, a middle-class child, "Yes you can be anything you want to be and here is the proof."

Mothers and fathers can now say to their children -- “Joe or Josie the Child”-- that with hard work, determination and a belief in yourself, you can be anything you choose to be. We can now mean it. Even a child who is poor or middle class without all the money has hope and an opportunity to become President of the United States.

I don’t want to bring race into this post, mainly because I have always believed we are all mutts. White, black, Hispanic, Asian -- whatever you think your background is, there is a mix in you somewhere. I look at my daughter and to me she looks Asian. She has beautiful long dark brown hair and her eyes have a lovely tilt. Now as far as I know we are Italian and Polish, but my aunt who has two Italian parents like my mom also has the same look. So yes, I believe somewhere in our past their may be some Asian blood.

My point being, no one is pure anything, but our common thread is that we are all Americans. I still believe most people care about each other and we love our country. However, to love your country you must love warts and all. I think Tuesday’s election proved that we can remove some of those warts. No, our country isn’t perfect. Yes, you will always have a few people who are racist, no matter what. However, that being said, this is still the greatest country on Earth. Where else can this type of election be possible?


Barack needs YOU to help America!


We should all be proud of ourselves. Yes, we put our country first. We put our children first. Our children will grow up in a country that may not be as racially divided.

When you look at me you will see a white woman. However, how I feel inside is that I am an American. I voted for the best person. A person who I feel has compassion for each of us. A person who cares. A person who is smart. A person who will put the best interest of the entire country first. Not just the rich and special interests!

Here is a sign of our new times already: my daughter’s math teacher approached them yesterday and asked who wants to start doing community service right now! He wants to get them started on that path. He is giving them choices to help the elderly or to help tutor other kids. I think it’s a wonderful thing. Community service gives you a sense of purpose and will give us a new generation of caring people. It will teach them to have compassion for others.

My daughter said she was scared to do community service. Now begins my challenge as a responsible parent to get her over that fear. Just like I make sure she does her homework. I have to make sure she has enough confidence in her ability to be able to meet this new challenge. I know she is capable and one thing I know for sure is that my daughter has compassion for others. She is a loving and caring person and just needs some guidance to overcome this fear of community service. She gets wonderful grades and I know she relates to others well. I think she could tutor another child and not only help that child, but make a difference in her own life. What a great gift to give and receive. You can’t put a price on that!


Tutoring younger children is a great example of community service that teens can perform


I know over time I will not always agree with President-Elect Obama. However, I do believe he will be honest with us. I know he is smart and I know he will do what he believes is best for the majority of this country -- not just a few of us. What more can you ask from a president?

I know these next several years will be tough on his wife and daughters, and let’s not forget what they are giving up. Michelle is giving up time with her husband. His daughters are giving up time with their daddy. This family will go through much over the years, and I thank them for that alone. It is a sacrifice they are making as well. So see, we all have to sacrifice something. Of course, some will always sacrifice more than others and that is how it has always been.

Last year at this time I didn’t have much faith in this country, but now I have hope. Like President-Elect Obama said, we have to be willing to work hard and sacrifice. I think any American should be willing to do this to leave our children with a brighter future. I know I am!

God Bless America!

No comments: