Monday, November 17, 2008

How to Keep A Parading Kid (and others) Warm? Here's How!

My daughter’s high school marching band will be in The America’s Thanksgiving Day Parade this year in Detroit. I am so proud of the band, and of course Nicole. However, putting that aside, this started to create a problem in the beginning and that was: how to keep her warm all morning beginning at 7:00 a.m. until the time she returns home?

Keep in mind, we live in Michigan and November can be pretty cold. Our neighbors are Canada and I can see Russia from my back door. You betcha! Of course, I’m just kidding about Russia, but we do get the Canadian winds and we are also surrounded by the Great Lakes. I’ve lived in Michigan my whole life and I know from experience how cold November can be, especially early in the morning. For instance, we already have snow on the ground and it’s only November 17th.

When I went to our parent’s monthly band meeting, they mentioned getting the kids a product called Under Armour. Now I had never heard of this product before-- so off I went dragging my poor mom along to our local sports store. Ouch! We looked at this product and it looked to us like long underwear except for the price. For a top and bottom it would cost around $127.00, and that’s before the tax. If you can afford it by all means go buy it because I heard it really does keep you very warm. However, if you are like I am and you’re on a budget and about a month away from Christmas this is simply not an option. My first reaction was being mad how expensive the Under Armour is. Now my problem remains: how do I keep my child warm and be able to afford it?

My first thought was to layer her clothes. This is affordable, but it may be bulky. I have to keep in mind she is marching and I also have to get it under her band uniform. So we continued to look around the sports store. We ended up finding some pretty cool products all for under $4.00 each. We found hand warmers with an adhesive body warmer which was included in the package. The hand warmers with body warmer cost only $2.79. I also found mini hand warmers and foot warmers. The mini hand warmers were $0.99 and the foot warmers were $2.99.

The company that distributes this product is called Grabber. Even though they are made in Japan they are distributed by Grabber which is located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. So hopefully I am helping keep some Michigan people working. The economy could sure use it around here.
The website is http://www.warmers.com/, which shows them in bulk. However, the warmers I bought were sold individually and that made it more affordable. My suggestion would be to go to your local sports store first and just ask about them.

The only negative is you can only use them once. The mini hand warmers last about 7+ hours according to the package. The foot warmers last 5+, regular hand warmers last 7+, and the body warmer last 12+ hours, which is plenty of time for our use. Regardless, it's a great and affordable product.


Another advantage the products have, other than being affordable, is that they are non-toxic, environmentally friendly, and odorless. Plus they have all-natural ingredients and are non-combustible, so they are very safe. Like any product you use, please make sure to read all the directions on the package.

After I picked up this product I drove to Target and bought long johns for my daughter. The top and the bottom were $4.99 each. I may still add layers depending on how cold it is on Thanksgiving, but all and all I am able to keep my daughter quite warm for under $20.00. In this day in age that is saying something.

These hand and foot warmers could have many uses. If kids are playing in the snow for long periods of time this is a great source of added warmth that is quite affordable. They would be great for any winter outdoor sport. My mom has arthritis and I’m sure it would be wonderful for helping that also.

Again, the website is http://www.warmers.com/ and the phone number is 800-423-1233. What a super way to stay warm during winter with these wonderful, affordable products!

Good luck to my daughter’s band in the Thanksgiving Day Parade! We’re all proud of you!!!

Here’s to the beginning of a long, but hopefully warmer winter. Cheers!

No comments: