Monday, February 23, 2009

Another Food Tip To Save Money: Leftovers!!

I recently found a brand new recipe that I tried. It's another inexpensive meal and also filling. This is another casserole-type dish. This particular recipe's also great because the vegetables are mixed into the casserole, so that's one less pot to dirty. Great for a working mom to just throw in the oven, and it's ready in under an hour. I almost feel like Rachael Ray; however, it isn't a 30 minute meal. Close, though!



CHICKEN VEGGIE BAKE

1 package (6 oz) stuffing mix (any flavor )
1 1/2 lb. chicken tenders (cut into bite size pieces)
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 can of condensed (10 3/4 ounce) cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 bag (16 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables (thawed and drained)


Grease 13X9 baking dish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare stuffing mix according to directions on box. Put on the side.

Mix chicken, sour cream, soup, and vegetables and put in the greased baking dish, top with stuffing.

Bake 30-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through

Serves 6

If you make this recipe, remember to put the frozen vegetables in the refrigerator to thaw. I usually place the frozen vegetables in the fridge the night before I make this dish. However, if you forget or decide to make this at the last minute, I'm sure you can partially defrost veggies in the microwave oven.

I served this meal with applesauce on the side. It was a hit with my family and there was enough left over for lunch the next day.

Many times I have leftovers and there isn't enough for dinner the next evening. What I do is heat it up for lunch. Everyone enjoys it because it makes lunch a little more interesting. Sometimes I'll throw in a tossed salad with the leftovers and there's a wonderful lunch everyone will enjoy!

Another way to save money is by making sure you eat leftovers. If you don't want it for dinner why not lunch? My family is great about eating leftovers, but if you have picky people in your family it may not be as easy to pass it off. However, remind them no one should be wasting food with this economy. Many kids go to bed hungry every night; we need to be thankful for what we have.

I hope your family will enjoy this hearty and inexpensive meal!

No comments: