Sunday, February 22, 2009

Casseroles A Great Way To Stretch The Dollar

Meals on a budget are sometimes hard to come up with if you don't have an arsenal of recipes on your side to help. I have a lot of them and I'm one of those people who love to share a recipe with others. These people who say it's a "family secret" drive me crazy. Why not share? I've never understood that side of people. That being said, I'm going to share some of my family's favorite budget meals. Your family will never know it cost so little to prepare!

Tuna Noodle Casserole is very easy to make and cost efficient. My family loves it and it's great when I can make them something they enjoy and still keep my food budget in tact. This is a recipe I found in a cookbook and added my own touches.

I believe in women helping women. Sharing a recipe to help feed someone's family in these trying times is a small way to help others.



TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE

1/2 bag of egg noodles (Medium to Large Noodle)
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cans, 10 3/4 ounce can condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cans tuna in olive oil - 9 1/4 ounce can (not drained)
3/4 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese (reserve 1/4 cup) for top of casserole
1/4 cup of Italian or plain bread crumbs for top of casserole
additional butter for top of casserole

375 degree oven

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.

In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup of Parmesan or Romano cheese with 1/4 cup of bread crumbs and set aside. Spray a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan cook celery and onion in butter till tender but not brown. Stir in the flour; stir in condensed soup. Gradually stir in milk and 1/2 cup of Parmesan or Romano cheese . Stir continually over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Carefully stir in tuna with oil and the cooked drained noodles. Stir till well mixed.

Turn noodle mixture into casserole dish; spread evenly. Sprinkle top of casserole with the cheese and bread crumb mixture and dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly brown.

Makes 6 servings

Serve with a vegetable or salad and it's the perfect meal. This is delicious and hearty. The best part is, it costs very little to make. This won't break the budget!

My twist to this dish is the cheese in the casserole and the cheese and bread crumb mixture on top. I also think it's much more flavorful with tuna in olive oil. However, if you want to use tuna in water by all means go ahead. Just make sure to drain the water out of the tuna before adding to the mixture. Experiment and see what you and your family enjoy most.

I think the fun part of cooking is changing it a little. Come up with your own variations. Try little things and see what you and your family like best.

Enjoy this meal!

No comments: