Friday, November 2, 2007

Don't Forget Grandparents When It Comes To Family Foundation

My mornings are usually very hectic. I hardly have time to breathe. My time has to be spent well and I have to multi-task.

After that, however, I take a half hour or so to just sit and relax. For instance, right after I add a new entry to my blog I sit and have a cup of tea. Sometimes it's coffee. The point is, I just sit and relax.

This time of the morning our dogs have already been outside and are back inside sleeping somewhere in the house. We have a cockatiel who is still covered and sleeping also. Now time for a little needed R&R for about half an hour. It re-energizes me and that's the best thing for my family.

Today's very crazy because on top of my usual chores this morning I started a load of laundry between my daughter's breakfast and driving her to school. She has a half day of school today -- so instead of making her lunch I decided to fill the time with some laundry.

Fridays are extra busy for me because I usually scrub my floor and vacuum for the weekend. I like my family to come home to a very clean house on Fridays. Plus, when I get all my cleaning done on Friday, I have more time to devote to them on the weekend.

I also want to e-mail my mother-in-law. I want to send her pictures of Nicole and her friends in their Halloween costumes. My mother-in-law lives 45 minutes away from us. E-mail is a great way to keep her up to date on what is happening around here. I want her to know that she's a very special part of our family, despite our distances apart. Keeping her up-to-date is a great way to let her know we are thinking about her.

I also need to take time to see my mom and spend some time with her. For instance, I had to take her to the doctor this past week. Her hearing isn't very good anymore. I like to go to all her appointments so I make sure I know what's going with her medications and I can get her to understand. My mom has always been there for me and I want to be there for her now that she is getting up in age (she's 82).

My dad and father-in-law both have passed away so it's up to me and my husband to do what we can for our moms. I try to be a good daughter and daughter-in-law and I hope that I am.

I also think this sets a good example for Nicole. She loves both her grandmothers and I make sure when they are here she spends time with them. I'm pretty proud of her because she doesn't even have to be told; she loves spending time with both of them.

In fact, my mother-in-law was over for dinner last weekend and one of her friends wanted to get together with her on Saturday. She told her friend no because her grandma was coming over. She did this all on her own -- she didn't have to be told. Sometimes you wonder as a parent if you're getting things across to your kids. This was a perfect example of, yes I have!

I think it's very important for kids to spend time with their grandparents. It teaches them to respect older people and makes your family whole. It's very important for kids to not only have a good relationship with their parents, but also their grandparents. It's also up to us as parents to make sure that happens.



Having a happy and close family is the best and most important foundation we can give our kids. It's important for children to be able to maintain a relationship with older people as well as younger people.

Make sure your kids have a great relationship with their grandparents. That won't happen unless you have a great relationship with not only your children, but also your parents.

A good and healthy family is the best thing we can give our kids. With all the pressure out there they need a good foundation. A close relationship with kids and grandparents is important and is only a phone call away.

Have a great weekend!!

No comments: