Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thanksgiving Meal: After I Make It, It's A GOOD Tired

I love the holidays! Thanksgiving is one of my favorites.

The smell of the turkey in the oven. The sound of my family watching the parade in the living room as I am busy in the kitchen.

Usually I feel pressured when my daughter asks me when we're going to eat. Not so on Thanksgiving because I feel like a kid myself. I can't wait to sit down with my family in a cozy house and eat too.

Like my mom, I make everything from scratch, from the potatoes to the gravy and everything in between. It's once a year and my family really does enjoy it!

By the end of the day I'm usually so tired I could pass out. But it's the kind of tired that makes you happy. It's knowing your family enjoyed the meal. That alone is the reason I cook every day, not just on Thanksgiving.

My turkeys are always a success. I believe the reason is because I season them very liberally. You need to remember this is a big bird and really needs to be seasoned and seasoned well. I usually get a 25 lb. turkey, and we always have tons of leftovers, which my family loves.

If your family doesn't like leftovers, by all means get a smaller turkey, but still make sure to season it well.

Basting is another thing I do as the turkey cooks. I think that's one of the secrets to a moist turkey. I try to baste it at least every 20 minutes. Yes, it's a lot of up and down all day. Again, remember, it's only once a year. It's a lot of work anyway -- you might as well go the extra mile!

Also, every time I baste I usually add a little more seasoning as I go. I use tons of seasonings such as, poultry; marjoram; sage; thyme; garlic powder; onion powder; parsley; basil; salt; and pepper. It sounds like a lot, but I guarantee it will be the best turkey you've ever had!

I also love a crispy skin so the last hour or so I uncover the bird to allow the skin to crisp up. If it starts getting too crispy and the turkey isn't done, simply cover it again with aluminum foil.

I remember the first Thanksgiving I cooked, and how nervous I was. Fortunately for me it turned out just fine. Although I must admit I probably called my mom a dozen times. She probably felt that she was cooking the Thanksgiving meal that year!

Well, I have about 17 or so turkeys and Thanksgiving meals under my belt now. Although I still get a little bit of butterflies in my stomach, I really do enjoy making a beautiful Thanksgiving meal for my family.

I pray every year that my meal will turn out fine. It's sure a lot of work, but when your family really loves it, isn't it worth it at least once a year? To watch them eat and enjoy the food is the best gift they can give me.

Now after the meal the next problem is what to do with the leftovers. I have several suggestions and I will put them on my blog throughout the week. A turkey can go a long way and is wonderful for your food budget. Here is my first suggestion.

Turkey-Broccoli Divan

1 lb. broccoli, cut into spears, cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed Cream of Broccoli Soup
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp. butter or margarine, melted

In a 9" pie plate or 2-qt. shallow baking dish arrange broccoli and turkey. Mix soup and milk. Pour over broccoli and turkey.

In a bowl mix cheese, bread crumbs and melted butter together. Sprinkle cheese and bread crumb mixture over top.

Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until hot.

Serves 4

* You can double this recipe very easily, just make sure to use a larger baking dish.

This is an easy recipe and tastes great. Another reason to invest in a big turkey this Thanksgiving!

Enjoy!!!

No comments: