Thursday, November 8, 2007

Men In The Kitchen: It Doesn't Always Have To Be A Nightmare

I think one of the things that attracted me to my husband 17 years ago was his ability to cook. I mean cook in the kitchen, of course!

It's such a nice thing for men to be able to have a few dishes they are able to prepare. Because let's face it -- every now and then the wife will get sick. It's nice to be able to rely on your husband to feed the kids without going to McDonald's or some other fast food joint.

Now I'm not saying my husband can cook everything, but he can hold his own in the kitchen. He makes a mean stir fry. He also makes a wonderful dill pickle soup. Now I know that sounds awful, but it is one of the best soups you will ever have!

In fact, I am half Polish and my husband, who isn't Polish, made this soup for me when we were dating. I never heard of this soup before he mentioned it to me. Greg had seen the recipe in the newspaper, kept it and had the guts and ability to make it. What a brave guy! I thought I would hate it, but to my amazement it was just terrific. I was so sure I would have to come up with some kind of little white lie so I wouldn't hurt his feelings. To my astonishment I absolutely loved it!

Well, it's been over 17 years and we're still eating and enjoying it! Our daughter, Nicole, has been eating and loving it since she was very small. In fact, she bugs her dad to make it as often as he can. You see, even men can start traditions. I give full credit for this recipe to my husband, Greg. I'm sure he doesn't realize how special he makes us feel when he makes this soup for us.

The following recipe is a little more involved than my previous ones, but it is well worth it. This one you may want to make on the weekends when you aren't too busy.

Glorified Polish Dill Pickle Soup

11 cups water
1 pound fresh kielbasa (NOT smoked)
1 cup cold water
3 medium potatoes -- washed, peeled, and finely chopped
3 carrots -- scrubbed, finely chopped
1 medium onion -- peeled, ends removed and finely chopped
2 ribs celery -- finely chopped, including leaves
1 large dill pickle, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup quick cooking barley
1 cup dill pickle juice
2 cups sour cream (16 ounces)

In a large soup pot, bring 11 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat and add the kielbasa. Cover and simmer for one hour, skimming foam as necessary. Remove kielbasa and coarsely chop; return to pot. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, pickle, bay leaf, seasoned salt, garlic salt, seasoned pepper, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and barley. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and add the pickle juice. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes more.

Just before serving, pour one cup (8 ounces) of the broth into a small bowl. Scoop sour cream into a separate small bowl. Temper the sour cream by stirring in one tablespoon of broth at a time until the cup of broth is gone. Now add the tempered sour cream into the soup pot and heat; do NOT let the soup boil or it will curdle. Makes 8 to 10 large servings.

Now ladies, your kitchen may look like WWII just happened there, but let your husbands in the kitchen too. My daughter will have many happy memories of not just my home-cooked meals, but also her dad's. What a nice thing for a man to do for the people he loves the most. Flowers are nice, but there is nothing like a home-cooked meal and a night off for the special ladies in their lives. It comes from the heart and what could be better than that?

So come on guys -- roll up your sleeves and get in the kitchen! My husband is the perfect example of a man's ability to make a wonderful meal for his family. Why does it always have to be the wife? Give your wives or girlfriends a night off and see if she doesn't appreciate it!


Men: Don't be afraid of the kitchen!

Get yourself a nice big loaf of crusty bread and a big bowl of Dill Pickle Soup. It's nice on a cold blustery day!

Enjoy the soup -- we sure do!!!

Thanks Greg!

No comments: