Saturday, November 17, 2007

Violent Kids, Left Unchecked, Will Become Violent Adults

The violence in our society is so bad and it is affecting all our children in one way or another.

Yesterday my daughter went to school as usual. She was looking forward to going to school because she had made the Honor Roll. In recognition of that, the middle school had a pizza party for those children who had worked so hard.

I have always been a parent who volunteers for these kinds of events, and I have always been happy to do so. I love to see the kids have a time to relax and enjoy a special event at school. Especially when they all deserved it and worked so very hard to achieve what they had.

There was also another event happening in my daughter's school yesterday, which was a book fair. If you're not familar, a book store is set up in the school and you give your kids money to buy whatever they would like for the amount of money you have given them.

My daughter chose a book and a Harry Potter poster. Nicole is a huge Harry Potter fan and was so excited to get this poster. Now leave it up to someone to turn a fun thing into an awful experience.

My daughter and her friend are walking out of school at the end of the day and this boy who they have known since elementary school came up to them. My daughter said to him "I just bought this Harry Potter Poster, do you want to see it?" Instead of a yes or no he grabbed the poster out of my daughter's hand and pushed her to the ground. She was so shocked. She asked him what was wrong with him and he just looked down and laughed at her.

This kid never said he was sorry or anything. Didn't try to help her up or even inquire if she was hurt.

My husband picked her up from school, and as soon as she she walked into the door and saw me she burst into tears. She said to me, "I hate school, I hate the pressure and I'm sick of people!" I was stunned. All I could say is, "What happened?" When she told me I hit the roof.

We marched right back to school and I went to see the principal. I was so upset I was shaking. It seems like when things like this happen there is never an adult present to see it actually take place. So now it becomes my daughter's word against this other kid's.

Fortunately for me and unfortunately for society this kid has a history of violent behavior. Now I'm not saying my child is perfect, but she sure doesn't hurt anyone intentionally.

My daughter has always been nice to this particular boy because she knows his history. He's a huge kid, and is built like a linebacker. And my daughter, even though she is tall, is pretty skinny and not much more than 100 pounds. This kid is probably pushing 170 at least. That alone should give this guy a clue to leave her alone, but not the case.

The other thing is, we've had a run-in with this kid before and so has my daughter's friend. In fourth grade he punched my daughter and I went to see her teacher. In sixth grade he pushed down her best friend in the hall and her parents went into school to complain. He has bullied so many people that the list goes on and on.

Yet somehow they keep letting this kid back in school. If this isn't a cry for help, I'm not sure what is. They suspend this kid and he gets right back in school again. I'm not sure what is going on in this boy's home, but it can't be good.

Not one person is getting this kid the help he is screaming for. This boy is going to hurt someone very badly, and not one person is doing a thing to prevent it. Suspension isn't getting him the professional help he clearly needs.

This is the type of child that will shoot up a school, or maybe even turn into a rapist and murderer. If someone doesn't get him the help he so clearly needs society will take care of him. However, how many people will get hurt before that happens? Why does someone have to get hurt very badly or killed before some type of action is taken?

Fortunately my daughter wasn't hurt very badly. Her knees were red and puffy, but a bag of ice can take care of that. However, a bag of ice can't help this boy and neither can looking the other way.



So on Monday my husband and I have to go back to school and complain. The principal told us to come back on Monday and talk to the the Assistant Principal because she (the principal) won't be in school. I really believe she just doesn' t want to deal with this kid and is passing along the problem to her new Assistant Principal. I guess that's fine as long as it gets positive results.

The violence in our country is everywhere. We see it on TV, read it in the newspapers and see it in our schools. The most important thing I can do is try to keep my child as safe as I can.

The other thing I hope is that this other child gets the professional help he so clearly needs. I don't want anything bad to happen to him or to anyone else. It's up to us as adults to make sure these situations are taken care of in a positive way.

It's so easy to look the other way. The most disturbing thing to me in this particular situation isn't that my daughter was physically hurt, but that this kid just looked down at her and laughed. That will haunt me for a long time.

So now it becomes my responsibility to try to get results. Obviously this boy isn't getting what he needs from his home life. I feel so bad for him on one hand, but I am also very mad.

I guess the people I should be mad at are his family. I know for a fact there isn't a dad involved in his life so maybe that is where the anger comes from. I'm not sure, but all I know is that this situation must be addressed and right now.

It's up to us as responsible adults to take action and get involved. Not only in our children's lives, but to help other children as well. I'm not saying stick your nose in where it doesn't belong, but we must help ALL kids -- not just our own.

In the end I hope this child and many other children go down the right path. The most important thing we can give our children is a good home life. Somewhere that they feel safe and secure.

When my daughter came to me I was happy. This meant she trusts me to take care of the situation and protect her. As a parent that is the best gift I will ever receive from my child. She knows she has my support no matter what. We have open lines of communication and I feel I have done a good job with her. My daughter didn't respond back to this kid in a violent way. She came to me so that makes me feel like I did something right bringing her up they way I have.

All our children need to know they can come to their parents and we will be there for them. If this happened more often maybe our society wouldn't be so violent. Kids need reassurance on a consistent basis. They need the support and love of their family. Growing up in our society is so hard; let's not make it harder on our kids than it already is. Never give up on your kids -- they should be the most important people in your life.

Well, it's back to school for me on Monday! Wish me luck!!!!

No comments: