Thursday, October 18, 2007

Contraception For Middle Schoolers: Treating A Symptom, Not The Problem

I heard on the news yesterday, which completely blew my mind, about a school district in Maine making birth control available to children in middle school. These kids are in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.

This means children ages 11-13 being able to get a full range of contraception. The types of contraception would include pills, patches, injections, and the "morning after" pill.

I don't agree with schools getting involved with the distribution of contraceptives. As parents, we're losing more and more of our parental rights. This is not taking care of the problem; all this is doing is encouraging children to have sex at a young age. Children at this age are just not ready for sex.

This also doesn't mean they won't be able to contract HIV/AIDS or any other sexually transmitted disease. All this does is prevent pregnancy and even that is not 100% guaranteed.

When our children come home with a sexually transmitted disease are the schools going to pay the bills? No, of course not. When a child dies of AIDS, is someone from the school going to be holding that child's hand? I doubt it.

Whatever happend to educating them? That's what schools are supposed to do -- not hand out contraception. Show them people dying of AIDS. Fear and the truth are great motivators. Education, education, education.

We educate them to not take drugs. Still, kids use drugs every day. Does this mean we start handing out drugs in school? I mean, if some kids use anyway, why not make that available to them too? It's the same premise.


Birth control patches, like the one pictured above, would be made available to middle schoolers, if a Maine school district gets its way

We also educate kids not to smoke. Again, some kids will still smoke. So why not hand out packs of cigarettes too? Where do we draw the line?

This contraception in middle schools proposal is just a way for lazy parents to get out of their responsibility. It's another example of the breakdown of the family. It seems it takes two incomes to make ends meet today, but this is no reason to shirk your responsibility as a parent.

Take time to talk to your kids. Get to know their friends. It's our right as parents to know where our kids are all the time. The schools have no right to get involved. This is a personal family matter. Whatever happened to educating and advocating abstinence?

Here's something else: You can't mention God in schools, but you can hand out birth control. What's going on in this country? Where are our moral values?

Another concern I have is, who knows what kind of effect these drugs will have on a child's developing body? Somewhere down the line when they are older maybe we'll find out the adverse effect of these contraceptives, but by that time the damage will be done.

My husband and I brought our daughter into this world and it's our responsiblity as parents to make sure she doesn't go down the wrong path. This proposal in Maine doesn't help our plight. As a matter of fact, it makes it worse. Why listen to your parents when you can go to school and get birth control behind their backs?

Maybe if kids feel safe, secure, and loved at home they won't want to have sex at such an early age. Let kids know they are special. Tell them to have respect for their bodies. It may not be cool, but neither is a crying baby at 2:00 a.m. Dying from a sexually transmitted disease isn't too cool either.

Our kids need to feel special and loved. I'm not saying that some kids won't have sex, but it's a parent's decision after consulting with a family doctor to decide on birth control if their child is having sex.

The primary concern is to make sure our children feel loved, so they won't have to seek love anywhere else. They need to come to their parents first. We need to have open lines of communcation with our children on any subject and they have to be able to trust us. The more you talk to your kids the easier this becomes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl, I agree with you, and I go as far as, why don't we hold schools accountable if they are going to hand out birthcontrol behind our backs, we should hold them accountable to pay for all the doctor bills associated with such decision, maybe then they will get the message they are our children not theirs. We need to get the message across to them loud and clear that they are our children and not to cross the line.
I also agree with you on making sure our children know that us as parents love our children and keep that communication open.

Sharon Eno said...

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it. Sometimes when you write you're not sure if people agree with you or not.

I've read many things about this proposal and see that a lot of parents are actually against what I said in this post.

I think you're right; we should hold schools responsible. When they tie our hands let them take on the responsibility and the bills. As responsible parents all this does is make our jobs harder.

Thanks again for your comment. I'm glad someone agrees with me.

The Frog said...

Are you all complete idiots? These children receiving these condoms, and dental dams, etc..may have their LIVES saved by these contraceptives! Of coarse I would prefer that my children be abstinent, but the fact still remains that ultimately the decision is his and hers. I cannot control everything. I can give them the facts, statistics, and talk with them about their ideas, fears, and thoughts on the subject. I can give them my experience and emotional tools to say no when faced with peer pressure. The fact remains that most of our kids learn about sex from their friends, and talk about sex with their friends. I would love it if my son came to me to discuss such matters with only me, but I would be kidding myself if I thought that were the case! I sure as heck would not have went to my mom and said hey, ma, I am gonna have sex, you got any condoms laying around? And I didn't. Oh by the way, I had my son at the age of 17! Maybe if I had some contraception readily available at school, I would have attained my degree before I attained my son. You close minded mothers make me so angry. You say that these kids will be encouraged to have sex by the mere thought of contraception? I have been in some of these classes that teach these children, and they also show them what can happen to them if they choose not to protect themselves, and they first and foremost speak on ABSTINENCE! DUH! Lady, you need to educate yourself! Maybe your idea would work if all parents spoke to their kids about these things, and all kids never developed in their sexuality, but I am just stating facts when I say TEENS ARE HORNY LIL CREATURES! Where the hell have you been? They have been doing it for a looooooong time, and I am guessing they will continue! And another thing, about those kids being OURS, and not THEIRS...it takes a whole community to raise a child. Your kids are all our responsibility! If I see a parent beating the hell out of a kid, I will take it upon myself to put a stop to it! And if I see that children are dying due to neglect in information, AND EQUIPMENT then I believe schools, who love our children, should put a stop to that too! Allowing these kids to contract diseases and die due to being uneducated and ill equipped, is unacceptable! I say to you, come out of the dark ages, take a good look at the reality of the situation around you, and come up with a better plan for the future of our children. You can't always get what you want! Lets not continue on with our heads in sand, but open our eyes and minds so that we might save the lives of all our children...because ladies, if your son, who slept with a diseased girl and did not wear a condom, ends up marrying my daughter, she might die for your son having NORMAL teenage hormones, and doing what comes natural to us all! And as terrible as the thought is, of my kid having sex...even more so is the thought of burying my babies! This is not only a moral dilemma anymore ladies, this is a life and death situation. WAKE UP!

Anonymous said...

First of all,I think you're the idiot. Sharon is correct. You must have a terrible relationship with your child. Sounds like you aren't a responsible parent.

Second of all, you need to be educated. After all we are talking about middle school children not older children.

Have some guts and talk to your kid. If your kid is in middle school and having sex something is wrong with your parenting skills and your relationship with your child. Sounds like parenting may be too much work for you.

Anonymous said...

I think Michele is missing the boat here. We're talking about LITTLE KIDS, not teenagers! You need to read the post again, Michele, before you start calling people idiots. Of course we talk to our kids! But there's got to be a line drawn here. Why should the schools step in to make up for lazy parents? These kids are TOO YOUNG to be getting contraceptives -- plain and simple!

I'm sorry that you can't see that!