Friday, October 26, 2007

Idle Hands Truly Can Be Devil's Workshop

I believe one of the best things we can do for our kids is to keep them involved in activities. Whether it is in school or after school.

My daughter is in band and will continue in high school. My husband and I encourage her all the time, and she has become quite a good clarinet player.

Like most parents, I'm worried about her transition from middle school to high school. I worry about her getting in with the wrong crowd, or into drugs, alcohol, smoking, sex -- and anything else that may get her into trouble.

I do, however, believe in my child and know that my husband and I did the very best to bring her up with good moral values. I hope we have set a good example for her. We aren't perfect, but I hope making sacrifices throughout her life and just plain being there for her has made the difference.

I don't think you can be your child's best friend. They have that at school. I think that parents must be anchors for their kids. Keep them grounded. Make sure you know who they are hanging around with and where they are all the time. It's not an easy job, but is very important to their well being.

My daughter and I are very close, but I found myself not listening to her other day. She came home from school and I was in the kitchen getting ready to start dinner. I found myself not really listening to her. So I just stopped what I was doing and sat at the table and listened to what she had to say. It was nothing earth shattering, but the fact is she wanted to come to me and talk about it.

As parents, we are all busy and there just are not enough hours in the day. Later I thought about taking the time to listen to her and I realized, what happened as a result? We ate 15 minutes later. What's so terrible about that?

I'm so glad I realized what I was doing and took the time to sit down with her. Nobody likes not being heard. Children are no different. They are worth every bit of love and attention we can give them.

The stress our kids are under in school is much worse than we ever experienced. It's so important for them to have a safe haven. They need to express their opinions and we need to be able to guide them in the right direction.


Taking a walk with your kids as a family -- even in the rain -- can be considered quality time

The most important thing is to have open communication with kids. It's definitely not easy in this day and age. I think the more you listen and spend time with your kids the closer you will become.

Schedules are hectic and life is crazy, but I think keeping children active helps. Most cities have community centers now. Kids can swim or do other positive and healthy activities. The cost is minimal, and will keep them out of trouble. It's a nice thing parents and kids can do together. It also gets everyone out of the house. They can also meet up with their friends while you swim or do other activities. The old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop," truly does apply -- especially nowadays.

So spend time with your kids. Take time to talk to them. Get to know their friends. The best thing for our children is to know that someone cares. If their parents don't, who will?

No comments: