Tuesday, October 9, 2007

MEAP Test and An Easy & Quick Breakfast for Kids

If you are from Michigan and a parent of a school aged child, I am sure you are aware of the MEAP (Michigan Educational Assessment Program) Testing.

My daughter is a very good student, but she gets stressed out every year during the MEAP tests. The one thing I do is make sure she has a good breakfast every morning, and especially during the MEAPS.

All it requires me to do is get up 15 minutes before her, and I feel at least I got her off to a good start. She has always done well on the MEAPS, and I contribute some of that to a good breakfast before leaving home. Also, I try to calm her down and talk to her each morning before she leaves for school. I usually do this as she eats her breakfast, by taking just a few minutes and sitting with her at the table.

Me being half Italian and half Polish, I have always been around good food. My mom is Italian and my dad was Polish. Even though he passed away before my daughter was born I still fix many Polish meals.

My mom always got up and fixed me breakfast before school each morning, and I have continued that tradition with my own child. Now I'm not saying I'm June Cleaver by any stretch of the imagination, but I do make my child breakfast every morning to make sure she eats and gets off to a good start. Of course, there is the occational bowl of cereal, donut etc., but I try to at least make her a nice breakfast 3-4 times a week.


I wonder if Beaver's mom was half-Italian and half-Polish; ya think?

This morning I made her a breakfast called Birds In a Nest. I believe this is an Italian breakfast, but I may be wrong. Well, the only thing I know is I learned how to make this from the Italian side of my family. I timed myself this morning, and it took me about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Here is how to make a quick breakfast for your kids too:

BIRDS IN A NEST

Italian or French Bread
1 Egg Per Slice of Bread
2 Tablespoons Margarine or Butter
Salt & Pepper to taste



Heat skillet at medium temperature; melt margarine or butter. Hollow out some of the bread on the inside to create a small hole like a nest. Place bread in skillet and crack egg inside the nest, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and turn up heat slightly to around medium high. It should take about 1-2 minutes to cook on the one side. Flip over, making sure the yolk breaks, and cook on opposite side. You may want to salt & pepper this side also. This can be served plain or with syrup.

This is a fast and nutritious breakfast and the kids love it. I serve it with a glass of milk or juice and it takes no time to eat at all. If they are late you can wrap it up in a piece of paper towel and it is easy to eat on the run.

I also love the non-stick skillets -- it makes clean up a breeze. By the time she is finished eating I am finished with a quick clean up. She gets dressed and ready to leave while I start making her lunch and get ready to drive her to school. We both have this down to a science now. The best part is I feel like I've done something for my child to make her day a little smoother.

Try it and see how it works in your family. Well, at least during MEAPS.

Have a great day!!!

No comments: