Sunday, October 14, 2007

Getting Kids Involved In Cooking Can Cure Their Pickiness

Do you have a child who is a picky eater? I really don't believe that picky eaters are born -- I think they are made.

What do I mean by this? I think the earlier you introduce children to different types of food and make it a fun thing, the more they will be willing to try it.

Now I'm not saying force a child to eat something they truly don't like. On the other hand, please don't discourage them from trying new things. So many times I've heard children say to mom or dad that something looks good and I hear mom or dad say "Oh you won't like that." Let them try it. If they don't like it, oh well -- at least they tried it.

My daughter will pretty much eat anything you put in front of her. I contribute that to my husband and I introducing her to different types of food at a very early age. She will of course eat Italian and Polish food because that is what I mostly cook. On the other hand, she eats Chinese, Thai, Mexican, and Japanese, which includes even sushi. She loves vegetables cooked or raw. Maybe I'm lucky, but I believe it is because we introduced different types of food to her when she was very young.

For instance, when she was little she tried broccoli and didn't like it. What I did the next time was make a cheese sauce and put it over the broccoli. She tried it and she loved it. It was amazing how just adding cheese to the broccoli made a difference. Now she loves broccoli whether it has cheese sauce on it or not.


Don't discount raw veggies as a good, healthy snack for kids

Raw vegetables are a great snack after school instead of cookies or junk food. Also, raw vegetables are nice to put on the dinner table instead of a cooked veggie. I cut up carrots, red peppers, orange peppers, yellow peppers, broccoli, green onions, mushrooms, cauliflower. I also add grape tomatoes, but don't cut them up. I arrange it on a nice platter. It is so colorful and looks so appetizing. Don't be surprised when your kids start reaching for the vegetables. You can also put a bowl with a veggie dip in the middle of the vegetables.

Here is a vegetable dip my family loves and it is easy to make:

VEGGIE DIP

2/3 cup Hellmans Mayo
2/3 cup sour cream
1 T dill seed or dill weed
1 t celery salt
1 t accent
1 t onion powder
1 T parsley (dried)
1/2 t Worcestershire Sauce
2 drops of Tobasco Sauce

Mix and blend put in refrigerator for at least an hour so flavors marry. Serve with raw vegetables.

This is a great dip and everyone I have ever served it to loves it, and asks for the recipe. It's just another way to get healthy foods into kids. The more colorful and pretty a dish is, the more children are apt to eat it. I believe you eat with your eyes first.

So try different things with your kids. Think outside the box and be a little creative. You may be surprised what your children really will eat. Get them involved in making the dip. If they make it they will have pride in it and it will make them want to eat it all the more.

Getting kids in the kitchen to help is great. My daughter always loves to cook with me and she is always happy to tell everyone she made certain things. Now, at 14, she is turning into quite a good cook.

So let your kids into the kitchen to help. It's another way to spend time together as a family. You'll be surprised how much you'll talk with them as you are cooking together. It makes you closer to your children and gives them confidence at the same time. Children are small for such a short time. Enjoy them while you can.

Good luck and most of all have fun.

No comments: