Tuesday, October 23, 2007

If You Want To Be A Mom, The Hours Are 24/7

Moms just aren't allowed to get sick and that was very apparent in my life yesterday.

My daughter got sick Sunday with some kind of stomach virus. Needless to say, I am the kind of mom that will stay up with her child when they are sick. She is 14, but still needs her mom when she isn't feeling well. There is nothing wrong with that; I'm in my 40s and I still would love to have my mom take care of me when I'm not feeling well.

Needless to say I didn't get much sleep Sunday night. Maybe 3 hours at best. I sat with my daughter and watched TV in between bouts of her getting up and running to the bathroom.

The problem started when all of a sudden, I didn't feel too good myself. My husband being without full-time employment right now has to do freelance jobs when he can get them. He had to work from about 1:30 pm until about 11:00 pm last night. I, like every other mother, had to go on and continue to run the house and take care of my child.

You see, moms don't get vacation or time off. You have to continue no matter how terrible you feel.


No, that's not me and Nicole, but the duties of a mom haven't changed

I wish more of these teenage girls would realize that before they become pregnant. Being a good mom is the hardest and most important job in the world and if you're not ready for it it can be devasting for a child, as well as the mom.

All I wanted to do was lie down and be left alone, but that can't happen. More important, however, was my child and I had to make sure she had fluids. On top of that I had to stop and make sure I was trying to keep down fluids myself.

I also have two dogs to feed and make sure go outside. Our little Jack Russell Terrier, Scamp, needs to be walked. I had to take him for a walk after he ate his dinner around 6:30 p.m last night.

I started a load of laundry earlier on Monday and had to go downstairs and put that in the dryer. After it was dried I put it away. You see, things just can't stop because I don't feel well. It was like being a single mom yesterday.

After I came back from walking the dog and putting away the laundry my daughter said she was a little hungry. I had to make her a little something to eat. Nothing hard so I opened a can of soup and heated it up for her. Now this isn't a difficult thing to do, but when you don't feel well yourself you'd be surprised how difficult it can be.

To top it off she took about two or three spoonfuls and said she felt nauseous. So it felt like I fed her for nothing. After that, I finally think I get to lie down. I do so, and not five minutes later the dog wants out again. Get this: my daughter says to me, "Mom, you're up and down an awful lot." No kidding.

When you're feeling fine all the up-and-down isn't a problem, but when you're not feeling well either, all this does is make you feel worse.

Obviously, since I'm writing today I am feeling a little better. My daughter slept though most of the night last night, but is still home from school. I'm going to try to get some solid food in her today. My job continues.

Being a mom is a 24-hour, 7-day-a-week job. You get no time off. There is no vacation. If you're not ready to be a mom, don't do it! The most important job in the world is to be a good mom. You have to put yourself last. If you don't, not only do you suffer but more importantly your child will suffer.

So for all you teenage girls out there that want a baby, caring for my sick 14-year-old is nothing compared to a little baby who needs constant attention. My daughter is a teenager herself and still needs me when she isn't feeling well.

The best way to be a good mom is to wait until you are ready. This is the hardest and most important job you will ever have. Don't mess it up!

No comments: